Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rembrandt Painting

Rembrandt Painting
Mr. Wimborne eyed his visitor with the polite wariness characteristic of a family lawyer towards the police.
"What can I do for you, Inspector?"
"This letter…” Craddock pushed Martine's letter across the table. Mr. Wimborne touched it with a distasteful finger but did not pick it up. His colour rose very slightly and his lips tightened.
Rembrandt Painting
"Quite so," he said; “quite so! I received a letter from Miss Emma Crackenthorpe yesterday morning, informing me of her visit to Scotland Yard and of - ah – all the circumstances. I may say that I am at a loss to understand – quite at a loss - why I was not consulted about this letter at the time of its arrival! Most extraordinary! I should have been informed immediately…."
Inspector Craddock repeated soothingly such platitudes as seemed best calculated to reduce Mr. Wimborne to an amenable from of find.
"I'd no idea that there was ever any question of Edmund's having married," said Mr. Wimborne in an injured voice.
Inspector Craddock said that he supposed – in war time - and left it to trail away vaguely.
Rembrandt Painting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Painting

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Painting

Anonymous said...

Rembrandt Painting