Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Return of the Prodigal Son

Return of the Prodigal Son
Samson And Delilah
seated nude
Spring Breeze
H'm. Fancy your being able to teach me what you don't know yourself!' ¡¡¡¡He fell into thought. ¡¡¡¡`And so I threw in my spiritual lot with his,' she resumed. `I didn't wish it to be different. What's good enough for him is good enough for me.' ¡¡¡¡`Does he know that you are as big an infidel as he?' ¡¡¡¡`No - I never told him - if I am an infidel.' ¡¡¡¡`Well - you are better off to-day than I am, Tess, after all! You don't believe that you ought to preach my doctrine, and, therefore, do no despite to your conscience in abstaining. I do believe I ought to preach it, but like the devils I believe and tremble, for I suddenly leave off preaching it, and give way to my passion for you.' ¡¡¡¡`How?' ¡¡¡¡`Why,' he said aridly; `I have come all the way here to see you to-day! But I started from home to go to Casterbridge Fair, where I have undertaken to preach the Word from a waggon at half-past two this afternoon, and where all the brethren are expecting me this minute. Here's the announcement.' ¡¡¡¡He drew from his breast-pocket a poster whereon was printed the day, hour, and place of meeting, at which he, d'Urberville, would preach the Gospel as aforesaid. ¡¡¡¡`But how can you get there?' said Tess, looking at the clock. ¡¡¡¡`I cannot get there! I have come here.' ¡¡¡¡`What, you have really arranged to preach, and------' ¡¡¡¡`I have arranged to preach, and I shall not be there - by reason of my burning desire to see a woman whom I once despised! - No, by my word and truth, I never despised you; if I had I should not love

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Return of the Prodigal Son

Anonymous said...

Return of the Prodigal Son

Anonymous said...

Return of the Prodigal Son
bnghjgh